Well anyway, I participated in a Healthy Pot Luck at work this week and was quite surprised at the array of healthy foods as well as their taste. One dish I sampled was made with tofu, onions, green peppers and rice. Of course, I twisted my nose to the tofu until I tried it. It was DELICIOUS! It was so good that I went out and purchased some tofu just to create this meal. The creator of this dish shared with me that it is best to get firm or extra-firm tofu to avoid the spongy, gross-like texture that many speak of, which was my only reservation about tofu. Of course this sparked me to ask more questions about healthy, creative snacks, meals, desserts, etc.
One quick, simple, and inexpensive meal this person shared with me was a cucumber sandwich. I was like yuck, cucumbers and bread, NO WAY. Boy was I turned into a BELIEVER after I sampled it. This sandwich is so doggone good that I had to make myself one for lunch as well as hubby. Here is what the creator did and I followed it exactly.
- 2 slices of bread (preferably wheat)
- Mayo (next time I will use Veganaisse)
- Green Peppers
- Black Pepper
- Spread the mayo on both sides of the bread
- Cut your veggies as small or as large as you like
- Place them in any order on your bread
- Add sprouts
- Add black pepper to taste
- Cut sandwich (if you wish) and Enjoy!